South-east of Dungannon and on the River Blackwater which here forms the district border is Moy, known locally as â€˜The Moyâ€™. Centred round a pleasant square, it was founded as a plantation settlement in 1764 by Lord Charlemont. Moy is connected with the village of Charlemont, named after Lord Charlemont, by a bridge that was built by William Durgan, who was the engineer noted for planning not only Belfastâ€™s Queen Island but also the Portadown to Dungannon section of the Ulster Railway.
Moy was for many years the site of one of Irelandâ€™s most famous horse fairs and it supplied many of the horses used by Wellington at the Battle of Waterloo. Today the village is a Conservation area.
A Public Services Building comprises community rooms and a library with an interesting display on the life of John King, the famous soldier and explorer who was born near the village. Today the village is renowned for its antique shops.